Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The laws of Southie

OK, so this photo was obviously not from last night's "snowstorm." It's from the blizzard of January 2005. That's my car. That was my spot for a couple weeks. I parked there with intent, to be at the end of the aisle, preventing a car from parking behind me, and making it easier for me to come and go by avoiding a tight parallel parking job until the city took all the parking spot markings after a few days. Southie becomes lawless after snowstorms, as someone did park behind me (note blue chair) in a spot that would normally have generated a ticket.

If you look closely enough, above the front wheel well, you can see the dent and scratches one of my loving neighbors gave to me after they negotiated the turn poorly, hit me, and did what all city drivers do when they slam into parked cars - continue driving and pretend it never happened. Note to self - never park on the end of a street during a storm again.

After yesterday's dusting, should I see any chairs, garbage cans, children's kitchen play sets, or (my favorite) walkers marking any Southie parking spots this morning, I am going to hurl said items into Dorchester Bay in my show of protesting the Southie mentality of "any amount of accumulated snow" equals "don't touch my parking spot!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should have thought of that before you moved to South Boston. there's nothing worse than hearing a yuppie move somewhere because it's supposed to be "chic" and "hip", and then bitching and moaning about everyhting un-hip and un-chic

Jason said...

Wow, I'm a Yuppie? Cool! I love anonymous digs - so unabashed and brave!