Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Bleach blondes

When I'm on the road and in Airworld, I consume media much differently than I do when at home. I can't recall the last time I woke up in Southie, opened my door to the hallway, and found a USA Today staring at me waiting to be read (although...that would be sweet!) Back home, I'm not often in elevators with live TV's forcing captive audiences to watch the Headline News channel for a few brief moments. I don't often sit in the lobby of our corporate offices with a wide-screen TV displaying CNN or ESPN, welcoming all passersby and visitors.

It's a lot easier to avoid these ridiculous Anna Nicole and Britney stories when I'm at home. Being a part of the broadcasting media, I get why these stories are so hot. We're in a Sweeps month - it's almost like the cameras orchestrated these stories to boost ratings. At the very least, they are milking the stories until they're bone dry. I am definitely not the highbrow NPR / WBUR / Wall Street Journal-type media consumer. USA Today is my choice because of its brevity, pretty pictures, and graphs. But even someone like me can see the absurdity of the media's obsession with these stories. It's borderline irresponsible journalism to focus as much time with these two.

No comments: