Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Monroeville, PA - with eateries full of flair

Monroeville, PA - my residence this week (about 15 miles east of downtown Pittsburgh) is one of those cities at the crossroads of major interstates (The PA Turnpike and I-376). I took this photo of downtown while driving to Monroeville, after emerging from the Fort Pitt tunnel. Unfortunately, the panoramic view of Pittsburgh immediately after the tunnel is much nicer than what I captured. Monroeville's primary role is housing business travelers in economy hotels and feeding them at chain restaurants.

Just off the top of my head, I remember seeing a Courtyard, Red Roof Inn, Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn, Days Inn, and my home - SpringHill Suites.

Dining choices range from classy (Red Lobster) to good 'ol fashioned American eatin' (Golden Corral, Max & Erma's). I try to avoid restaurants that suggest I'm being penned into an area with barnyard animals, and while Max and Erma sound like lovely people, I'd prefer to pass. Pretty much, if the menu has pictures, the restaurant is here. Chili's, TGI Friday's, Applebee's, Denny's, Olive Garden, Don Pablo's - the list is endless.

I ate at Outback on Monday night, and said Red Lobster last night. I had a lobster tail last night as part of my entree, and The Barking Crab on the waterfront has nothing to worry about in terms of competition.

The servers at each restaurant were extremely friendly. Perhaps they treat lonely single diners better than loud families. Twice already on this trip, I have been called "hun," once by someone obviously younger than I.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

J-

You are in my chain restaurant heaven. Go to Olive Garden for me. Yum!

Jamen