Sunday, April 22, 2007

My brilliant idea


This morning I woke up and had the impulsive idea that almost four years after moving into my current residence, I finally needed to attend to my 200 sq. ft. rear deck. Immediately. Today. Right now. ¡Ahora!

I figured that the project would be simple. Buy a power sander, strip the paint with said sander, sand the pressure treated but unfinished railings, apply a mildewcide solution to treat the board with some green on them, and then apply the stain. For some odd reason, I believed that this was a project that I could finish by myself before sundown after a quick trip to Home Depot.

Without recounting the gruesome details, my Home Depot trip resulted in the following:



  • 72 herb seeds now germinating in my kitchen.

  • A cool Black & Decker Cyclone power sander that removed the paint effectively, but at a painstakingly long pace, resulting in...

  • A double-dip Home Depot day - Trip #2 to purchase paint stripper

  • 40% of my rear deck being partially stripped, 60% untouched

  • A sore back and dry hands

  • A couple random minor chemical burns on my skin

My interior paint jobs usually began as impulsively but contained finite endings. I know how to paint walls well. Stripping paint, however, is another box of donuts. This should be a fun few weekends forthcoming.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you need some help, hit me up. I use to do a lot of carpentry stuff growing up. Sounds like a cool project though.
Christopher