Sunday, May 13, 2007

Seapoint Restaurant in Southie


Fridays are always difficult evenings for socializing. I'm usually pretty tired after a long work week, and the process of getting home, getting changed, getting to a predetermined place with friends, and finding parking, all between roughly 6pm and 8:30pm, is often quite a task. If the Sox are home and the weather is good - for example last Friday - forget it.

So this past Friday, I had a simple but great idea. I was talking to Ryan and said that we should meet for dinner at Seapoint - the restaurant right down the street from me in Southie. Literally a 3 minute walk from my door.

In my almost four years in Southie, I have driven by Seapoint countless times, but regrettably never stopped in. The atmosphere is welcoming and unpretentious. The food is simple, tasty, bountiful, and inexpensive.

While I can't seem to find a website for Seapoint, Ryan read a review online that praised their fish selections. When we read the menu after sitting down, it said that we should inquire about the fish entrees, as none were listed (but they claimed that the only fresher fish was swimming right off of Castle Island). I assumed that the online review was dated, but after asking and hearing a long list of fish selections - literally 8 or 9 more options - I chose a baked haddock dish, which turned out to be an enormous portion served with TWO baked potatoes (a first for me).

We each left with half of what we ordered. 4 drinks, appetizer, two entrees, tax and tip, less than $60. I can see myself becoming a regular. I'm sure other locals have known about this neighborhood joint for decades. Better late to the party than never to have shown up!

No comments: