Monday, July 30, 2007

The Police at Fenway Park

I came into some last-minute Police tickets that were just put on sale. I'm told there were three price points for face value tickets - $55, $95, and $225, and for $95 sitting in the Home Plate Pavilion Club was incredibly cool.

We had the fifth (and final) row of seats, which are high seat-back seats with a counter in front of them, just like the Monster seats. We had full club access, free popcorn, and very convenient bathrooms (we wondered how the people front and center made it to the bathroom and back in the same half hour).

The fact that the concert was at the opposite end of the stadium (In center field) was irrelevant. We had a great view of the entire stadium, and any time I can make a viewing experience more comfortable and convenient, sign me up!

Synchronicity was one of the first 4 cassettes I ever owned (Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger," Kenny Rogers' "Greatest Hits," and Men at Work's "Business As Usual" would be the other 3). I remember receiving it for my birthday in 1983 from my Uncle Bob and Aunt Joan, and being drawn to "King of Pain" immediately.

The Police disbanded soon after I began liking them, so it was nice to see them during their reunion tour 24 years after I first learned about them. I played a ton of their songs on the radio during my WBRU days, and knew every song last night for that reason (and that fact that I have owned their box set for a long time). Their set list has been remarkably consistent during the entire tour. Granted, the hits are the hits, but they have pretty much played them in an identical order from night to night, and avoided any obscure picks that weren't played every night. That's one of those Internet perils - sometimes knowing less is indeed more.

As an aside, after looking at the photos from yesterday, I'm 100% buying a new camera for my Italy trip in September. It's time for a technology upgrade.

1 comment:

Zoooma said...

Yeah, same same same setlists but still a pretty good show! (I didn't go, wouldn't pay that much, but I listened to one and freakin' sweet stuff!)

Probably the best way to see them would be in a club or at most a 2-3,000 seat theater like the Orpheum.

Weird to have all that open space between the stage and stadium seating but a cool picture.