Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Way to Communicate


CareerBuilder.com and Monster.com must hire tons of young folks right from college, and tell them to get on the phone and cold call businesses to pitch their websites.

And I'm guessing they have made some hires recently. It would make sense, here in late July, they probably have summer interns and newly-trained post-grads working their phones.

A couple days ago, Monster called me with an underwhelming sales pitch. The guy sounded like an amateur. I felt like a cat batting around a little mouse for a while before letting him go. It was fun.

Just a few moments ago, a guy from Career Builder called me, and about 2 or 3 minutes into his pitch, I said to him "do you realize that we already buy job postings from Career Builder?" He, of course, did not. He asked who my rep was. I checked in my MS Outlook contacts, and after telling him the name of our rep, he said "Oh, she sits right next to me!"

This is a tech company built on selling, in essence, the capabilities of their software. How strong is their own internal CRM software that two cubicle mates are calling on the same businesses, pitching initial services to people who are already clients!?

No comments: