Sunday, August 05, 2007

Fire at Hackley School

Yesterday, I learned that there was a major fire at my high school, Hackley. A friend of mine emailed me, as did the school. My parents saw the news on the local NYC newscast (which often covers the suburbs), and in our conversation today were amazed that I had heard already (they are still pretty old-school when it comes to realizing how news can travel very quickly in the Internet world we live in).

It appears that the library was struck by lightning overnight last week, and 21 (?!) separate fire departments responded to the massive fire.

We had our commencement photo (I'm in the front row, naturally) taken in front of the library which has now been completely gutted and reduced to nothing but the facade. The building had stood there for over 100 years.

I'm extremely fond of Hackley, even more so than Brown, as I spent 10 years of my life there, and I credit my parents for finding the means to send me to such a great institution. Taking nothing away from those who received public schooling, I believe that Hackley was very instrumental to helping me get to where I am today.

No comments: