Monday, August 13, 2007

Summer Lent

Every so often, it's worthwhile to dip into the pool of Catholicism and repurpose one of their thoughts or doctrines.

Today is the start of my Summer Lent. 40 days from today, I fly to Rome. What a perfect fit.

It's time for a change. I need some cleansing and redemption.

I have three guidelines for my Summer Lent.

1. No more alcohol for the next 40 days. Cold turkey.

2. The only beverages I will consume will be water, coffee (with half and half is fine), sugar-free flavored seltzer, or unsweetened iced tea. Any unopened containers of diet soda in my home will remain as such, but any already opened containers will be OK for me to finish.

3. I will only play online poker during days in which I had a substantial athletic workout before beginning play (i.e. 10 pushups don't count).

I trust that my friends will be supportive of my Summer Lent, and will police me to the letter of my three rules.

No comments: