Sunday, November 04, 2007

The Fabulous Moolah - R.I.P.


We lost another wrestling legend this weekend. I read that The Fabulous Moolah passed away. To non-wrestling fans, she might just seem like an older woman, but she was truly one of the best.

Back in the mid-80's, she was part of the Rock n' Wrestling Connection, which included Cyndi Lauper and Captain Lou Albano, and culminated in her losing her title to Wendi Richter on a wrestling card broadcast on MTV.





Actually, she won the WWE Women's Title again in 1999 at age 76 (I know...it's scripted, but it shows how highly she was regarded for them to give her one more title reign). I believe this pic is from that match when she defeated Ivory.
The other older lady with Moolah is Mae Young, another wrestler who took some amazingly nasty bumps from The Dudley Boyz and Three Minute Warning on live TV a few years ago. It's quite amazing watching an old lady be put through a wooden table by a Dudley Bomb.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I forgot all about Mae Young...Jason, what would I do without you? I'll definitely have a moment of silence today for the Fabulous Moolah. Maybe I can find my WWF trading card of her...