Monday, December 17, 2007

A Penny Saved...


OK, I can be cheap sometimes. I admit it.

For 4 1/2 years, I have lived in Southie thinking that if I hopped on the #11 bus (the route along which I live) to Broadway station, I would have to pay for the bus and for the subway.

While I have taken the #s 9, 10, and 11 buses on occasion, my reticence to take the bus-to-subway link has been the additional fee. Granted, we're talking a few coins here, but I figure that those quarters add up, and I would always prefer to spend my money on myself, friends, or family than give it to the MBTA.

I'm planning to take public transit to and from work for much of the week. My walk over to Andrew Square this morning was cold, traversing the icy tundras of frozen puddles and icebergs surrounding the plowed-in cars.

For the commute home, I thought I would give a new option a try - exiting the Red Line at Broadway, and transferring to the #9 or #11, whichever showed up first.

The #11 was the winner, and to my delight, when I held my CharlieCard up to the bus' fare collecting sensor, it read "transfer" or something like that.

I'm sure this information is common knowledge among most Bostonians. I tend to pick up things like this (how the fare structure on the T operates) late in the game.

But I'm glad I learned something new today. I can avoid the 20 minute blustery walk (13-15 minutes on dry temperate days) tomorrow morning!

No comments: