Thursday, October 23, 2008

Office Building Fire


Yesterday we had a fire at our office building.

I did not see flames or smell smoke, but the fire alarm went off around 4:55 pm, and persisted long enough for me to realize that I should probably evacuate the building.

I grabbed my coat, wallet, and keys, and walked down three flights of stairs (feeling doors for warmth along the way).

When I exited the building, I saw pretty much nobody else.

Huh?

While we don't have all that many companies and employees in my building, we certainly have more than just myself.

Fire alarms are blaring. Didn't you learn anything in high school, people? Quietly leave the building in an orderly fashion, and move onto the grassy area outside the building until it's safe to return.

After about 3-5 more minutes, other employees began ambling outside the front doors.

I called a co-worker and was like "uh, you might want to come outside, there's fire trucks here."

I walked around the back to learn that most of the evacuees ended up in that parking lot, including Karin and Sean, both of whom were already sitting in their cars and decided to leave shortly thereafter - the perfect excuse to leave right around 5pm!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow