Thursday, January 22, 2009

My Poor Timing - Elimination of FastLane Transponder Fee

My morning radio lately has consisted of Radio 92.9 to get me out of bed, followed by The Sandbox on WFNX to entertain me while eating breakfast, having coffee, blogging, and checking email. I then usually leave FNX on to keep Rosie company. She appears to like MGMT and The Ting Tings now.

With the inauguration, I decided to switch back to NPR. I went through a major NPR kick last year, and somehow managed to let is drift away over the past few months.

Back I am - extended news stories, mellow music beds, Morning Edition, and Bob Oakes.

This morning, upon turning on the kitchen radio, I was greeted by Bob telling me that the Masspike was doing away with the $25 fees it charges for FastLane transponders, and was instead switching to a 50 cent/month structure.

D'Oh!

I JUST acquired one of these a couple weeks ago! What bad timing, I thought.

25 quid out the door.

I found this, however, on boston.com, which included the following factoid:

"The free transponders will be available Feb. 15 and those who bought a transponder in the 30 days before that will get a credit for that amount."

Awesome, I'll receive a credit for the transponder I purchased on January 10th.

Or so I thought.

Then I re-read that and actually thought about the words. In the 30 days before "that." NOT in the past 30 days.

I do believe that January 10th would be 36 days prior.

D'Oh!

So now, I'm stuck with the $25 fee and 50 cent/month maintenance fee. Normally, I'd give them a ring and attempt to fight something like this, but I have a sinking feeling that I'm simply a victim of bad timing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the pic: "Citizens Bank". That's exactly what these electronic toll systems have become...a "Bank" for the states to swindle their Citizens. These systems were supposed to lower operating costs thereby netting more for state coffers, but, because the states have severly (dare I say fraudulently) mismanaged these systems, they are looking to make it up on our backs. Worse yet, Citizens are unlikely to cause a fuss because they'd rather pay a fee than sit in the long cash-only toll lines. As I see it, I already pay a "fee" by letting them hold my $10-25 per month interest free!!! Grrrrrr.