Friday, December 08, 2006

The Kenmore T Station is a joke


As the conversion to Charlie cards continues, the MBTA employee who works in the booth at Kenmore has gone from "grumpy" to "grumpy and doesn't care if people pay the fare or not."

I myself have stolen six rides in the past week.

I bought a $10 Charlie card at the Andrew Red Line station, in anticipation of a few after-work T rides and such.

Last week, I found myself with 4 others, 3 from out of town, as we shifted from our office in Kenmore to dinner at Bouchée Brasserie on Newbury St. (aside - this restaurant is very good, but I have seen some odd "just ok" reviews online, I would imagine because of price. The food, service, and atmosphere are all really terrific).

I had a $10 Charlie card, a $100 bill, and credit cards. T token people hate anything but the closest of exact change, and penalize others with large bills by giving a multitude of $1 bills as change. I didn't feel like carrying around 93 $1 bills. Thank god for automated Charlie Card machines that take credit cards and don't give attitude.

I asked if I can get tokens off the card (of course I can't dummy...how can he determine the value? Wouldn't a card reader in token booths have been a wise investment for people in my situation?). He said the reader on the turnstile would read my card (well, no it won't...this isn't a monthly pass).

Finally after a few moments of confusion and planning, I made an executive decision and told everyone to simply walk through the iron gate THAT WAS ALREADY OPEN FOR MANY OTHERS TO ALSO WALK THROUGH, WHICH MANY WERE DOING.

How many $1.25 fares is the MBTA losing because of this guy, this gate, and the station? My lord let's enforce some of the rules here. I'm more than happy to pay my way because the MBTA doesn't run for free.

No comments: