Friday, January 05, 2007

Greetings, Cincinnati. Nice man boobs.


One of the "better blogs" on my blogroll is Today in the Sky - USA Today's travelblog that's actually about travel (unlike the false expectations I have set with this site...which I promise will gradually shift back into the lunacy of business travel as I hit the road to Orlando, Dallas, and Houston over the next few months).


I saw this story today about how airfares in Cincinnati are the highest in the US.




I've only been to Cincinnati four times - three more trips than I would have liked to have taken there.

Trip 1 - 1997 baseball trip throughout Ohio and Pennsylvania. We saw the Reds play at Cinergy Field back before they imploded it in 2002. Before the game, we saw Marge Schott walking her dog Shottzie on the field. My best memories of this city are, therefore, limited to a blown-up characterless baseball stadium, a dead racist team owner, and (I'm assuming by now) her expired St. Bernard. This is the one trip to Cincinnati that I was fine with - baseball road trip, first time there, saw it, then moved on.

Trip 2 - 1999 business trip. Focus groups for The Bob & Tom Show, a god-awful midwestern humorless show featuring two old dudes attempting to be funny. Somehow, they are syndicated on about 150 stations with exactly 2 New England affiliates - both in Maine, indicating to me the similarities among Mainers, Sheboyganites, and Topekans.

Trip 3 - 2000 business trip to visit our new sister research company (and competitor) after our parent company was purchased by their parents company. Awkward doesn't even come close to describing this trip. Our amistance was phony; the bitterness continued.

Trip 4 - 2006 business trip, flying through CVG airport. I really don't remember where I was going, but probably nowhere fun. I distinctly recall sitting in the communal waiting area, looking around at my fellow Airworldians at that moment, and realizing how ugly everyone there was.

No comments: