Thursday, January 04, 2007

Reach out and touch faith

I have very strong opinions toward downloading music. It's simple. Buy it. Don't steal it. 99 cents for a song seems pretty reasonable to me.

Not only do I love purchasing and browsing for music on itunes, but I still buy CD's the old-fashioned way as well.
My primary source for acquiring new music, however, is through a CD service I subscribe to.
For $40 a month, they send me a CD every week in the mail, each with about 20 new songs. Completely legal. They take care of royalties and publishing fees. This company produces a variety of new-release CD's for radio programmers, mobile DJ's, and that sort of ilk who need a service such as this. When I was a programming consultant, it was the easiest way to stay on top of trends for a variety of new-music formats - everything from Top 40 to Hip-Hop, Country, Rock, and...

....Christian!

There's a bunch of great Christian artists. Some downplay it after they become big (Evanescence, Creed). Others seem to bridge the gap well even after they score crossover hits (Switchfoot, Lifehouse, MercyMe, Jars of Clay, Relient K, dc Talk). Then, there is a third category of Christian artists who don't cross-over, but sound identical to the type of artists who could. Third Day, Audio Adrenaline, and Jeremy Camp fall into this category.

The 11th most-played song in my itunes is by another one of these third-category bands - Needtobreathe. "You Are Here" randomly popped onto the video channel at the gym today - sandwiched by the SexyBacks and Promiscuouses of the world. This band has one of those generic pop-rock sounds that always seems to suck me in. Non-threatening and catchy, for some odd reason Jesus Rock even makes me feel a touch pious.

Especially because I bought 2 more of their songs on itunes and didn't steal 'em! Jesus kicks....um....butt!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised it took you this long to blog about the subject of legal music. I can't wait to read some of the comments (not that I give a rats ass about the subject).

Anonymous said...

You are absolutely right. I have been a Christian for a couple of years now. When I first started listening to Christian music I was completely surprised at how good it is. If you like the bands you listed, I am assuming you do, check out Todd Agnew. It is kind of a blues-rock. I think you will like it.

I am enjoying the blog. Good luck in airworld! God Speed.

I listed my web page, there is not much on it. However, you are welcome to check it out.