Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree

Today is the 68th consecutive day that I have not been on an airplane, nor stayed overnight in a hotel. This my longest consecutive day streak on the ground in 8 years. Both streaks will continue until day 74, when I will board a JetBlue flight to Orlando.

My 4 lifetime trips to Orlando include:

1. Obligatory family trip to Disney World when I was 4 years old. I recall most of this trip from photopgraphs, but for some odd reason still possess and use an Eastern Airlines teaspoon that I swiped from the airplane. That was back when airlines used metal flatware and coach, and back when Eastern Airlines existed.


2. Golf Trip #1 with my uncle and cousin. One of the courses we played was called "The Ravines," and I wisely brought one golf ball for every hole because that's just about how many of my shots that those ravines swallowed.

3. Golf Trip #2 with my uncle and two cousins. This trip was great, highlighted by the absolute best way to spend time at Epcot Center's World Showcase - "Drinking Around the World". There are 11 country pavillions there - Mexico, Norway, China, Germany, Italy, USA, Japan, Morocco, France, The UK, and Canada. We took photos at every stop, and were beyond drunk by the time we left.

4. Business trip, working with "The Doc & Johnny Morning Show" on XL 106.7. A couple months after this trip in September 2005, the station's married Program Director and my main contact there was arrested for soliciting minors for sex on the internet - a la "Dateline NBC." At the time, it was a pretty huge story in the radio industry.
By the way, the photo is of Tony Orlando & Dawn, the posting title is their biggest hit. I'd imagine I'm dating myself for knowing all of that. Then again, I only know Tony Orlando from the annual Jerry Lewis Labor Day telethon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

first, there is no greater trip than the around the world at epcot. i remember my mom being trashed by france, mainly due to her first shot ever in germany. granted, this is what happens when your family hits disney for the first time when you are 24 and your brother 22:)

second...how do you effectively get from boston to tahoe (reno) without two stops?

Jason said...

First off, I've never done a two-stopper. The only reason I would do that willingly is if I were traveling to an exotic location for fun. Otherise, no way.

Second - tons of options! America West / US Airways through Las Vegas and American through Chicago seem the cheapest. Continental through Houston and United through Denver work too.

Or, if you don't mind the cattle call, Southwest from Providence has one-stoppers through Phoenix, Midway, and Las Vegas too.