Monday, February 05, 2007

Be Nice To Everyone Week

I just listened to a guy on WBZ AM - Jon Keller - give his editorial on yesterday's Super Bowl, and it occurred to me how he came across as being cranky for the sake of being cranky - simply an old curmudgeon of a man sitting high in his ivory tower, looking down upon the populous he both disapproves of and in which he willingly participates.

Within a minute, he managed to criticize the game itself, Billy Joel’s rendition of the National Anthem (“why didn’t they get an actual singer”), and the halftime show, to which he admitted The New York Times gave rave reviews. I’m assuming John Keller isn’t a Prince fan, and giving an open mike to a non-Prince fan, allowing him to comment on the halftime show, is a bit unfair and irresponsible. The only thing he seemed to enjoy were WBZ-TV’s own ads during the local commercial avails, claiming to have a sweet spot for animals. How self-serving and pathetic.

While this was a waste of a few minutes in the otherwise well-paced morning newscast that WBZ tends to deliver, it opened my eyes to what it’s like to have to listen to a critic. Though I didn’t intend for my blog to be overly critical and snarky, I fear it treads water in that territory too often (granted, it’s more fun to hear things like “The T sucks because…” versus “I enjoyed my apple this morning, isn’t that nice”).

Therefore, this week will be my official Be Nice To Everyone Week, including to my blog readers, both those who I know personally, and those who seemed to find their ways here. Everyone gets nice Jason this week – from the subjects of my postings, to my co-workers, to my friends, to the employees at Southwest airlines who I will be forced to see later this week (I know – that part will be the most difficult of all).

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Now, time for a cocktail.

No comments: