Tuesday, February 06, 2007

P!nk at The State Room


Last night, I was invited to a Mix 98.5 Mix Lounge performance by P!nk at The State Room. Yes, she technically spells her name with an exclamation point.

P!nk was, actually, great. It’s easy to group her in to the other teen pop chicks, but her sound has evolved, and most of her music from the past 5 years or so is less disposable. Even Get The Party Started was an evolution at the time, before it became a wedding staple and, therefore, as cool as The Chicken Dance.

She has an interesting legion of fans, mostly women. It’s funny that it didn’t occur to me to wear the color pink to the show (not that I have much pink in my wardrobe), because many showed up with pink shirts, pink hair, pink highlights, and pink jackets.

P!nk performed 4 songs - "Trouble," "Who Knew," "Dear Mr. President" and "Me and Bobby McGee." Between songs, the Mix DJ's interviewed her (though much of their "interviews" consisted of them waxing ecstatic about how much they loved her).

Overall, the evening was put together well, with the crowd of about 150 people consisting of many huge P!nk fans, including two women who went to 45 P!nk shows in Europe, according to P!nk herself. I haven’t been to many Mix 98.5 promos – this being the second one – but we met some of the personalities and managers during and after the show, and they seem to be a good group. I am so used to being around Clear Channel Boston folks (Kiss 108, Jam’n 94.5), that it’s nice to meet others in the local broadcasting world.

I know this isn’t a new phenomenon, but with the latest bunch of shows I have attended recently, I have noticed more and more people using their camera phones and digital cameras at shows (as of right now, I found no clips on YouTube yet).
This is the second time I have been to The State Room - once before attending a wedding reception there. The aerial views of City Hall Plaza, Faneuil Hall, and The Waterfront are incredible.

No comments: