Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Fans by the millions

Be Nice To Everyone Week continues.

I am very much itching to comment about WBCN’s HD-2 channel, but I’m going to have to wait until next week after Be Nice To Everyone Week is over.

....this Anonymous comment was waiting for me in my inbox...

"Dear Yuppie:With an attitude like that you would definitely be better off in the suburbs. You and your kind know nothing about community or tradition. I know how "inconvenienced" you were by a chair saving a parking space. And I know that in the "burbs" they don't do such things, but it has been going in Southie for decades. So if you don't like it you should just move and go back to where you came from you ignorant, rootless hipster. My family has lived in Southie for seventy years. And we are not going to change because of some scenester who writes about shitty television shows and even shittier music...come on, Pink?"

Ouch! It's so easy to be a grouch when you're "Anonymous." And, I'm not exactly the physical fighting type, so I have no interest in being baited into a suburbs vs. city fight, or a new Southie vs. old Southie battle.

But, Anonymous, since you took the time to read multiple Platinum Elite postings and compose a pretty coherent comment (all while, I'm guessing, your hatred of me was reaching a boiling point)...I'll go for a diplomatic response -

1. First off, I’ll post pretty much all comments. I find more value, however, in comments that aren’t Anonymous. In the future, should you choose to continue reading this blog (and with such ingrained hatred of me, I'm assuming you have moved on) try posting with your name. When I comment, I do.

2. Once again, I reiterate, I very much love living in Southie. And, nowhere did I suggest that I was inconvenienced by a chair saving a parking space...because I quickly learned the local rules and did the same thing. The suggestion was – literally flakes of snow cause people to freak out and start with the chairs. That makes no sense. Shoveling your spot from under 30 inches of snow. That makes sense. Bring out the chairs. And the fake ficus plants.

3. Suggesting that I know nothing about community or tradition is an insult to my family and heritage, so I won't merit that with a response. "Anonymous" knows nothing about my family roots, which are deep and extensive, and filled with tradition.

4. My intent is not to cause people to change because of a blog posting. The beauty of blogging is the ability to comment freely.

5. I'm a bit shocked to be tagged with such words "yuppie" "scenster" and "hipster," none of which are negatives in their true meanings. But if that's what I am in your mind, Anonymous, terrific - I'll take it without an iota of shame.

6. Growing communities have people from all background, and aren't simply the same folks and families living there forever. Everything needs change. I look around in Southie now and see the benefits of a growing community. Along with the traditional roots, there are new restaurants, new places to shop, new places to live, and continued a community infrastructure. When young professionals and young families move to a community, they keep the blood flowing. Southie has a pretty high rate of 20 and 30-something folk moving here and supporting the area. What better way to keep the community’s vitality for generations to come?

7. What music and television shows would you prefer I watch and enjoy. I’d be shocked if I don’t like them as well.

8. You spelled P!nk incorrectly. Don’t forget the exclamation point.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice job Jason. I enjoy the blog, keep it up!

Signed anonymous

Anonymous said...

Dear Yuppie--and I stress yuppie because according to you such titles-in their true meaning-are not bad.

First off, my name is Jeff Antonelli and I live on East 5th Street. I have lived there for 30 years (so cross off your repeated and predictable rant about anonymous comments, insinuating cowardess in so many words).

Where do I start? Is it your defense of gentrification or your pride at being labeled with such gross generalizations as yuppie and hipster? I am astonished at what you had to write about. Saying that your kind--yuppies--bring vitality to our neighborhood is absurd. Yuppies--yeah, your people--push out low income families and small businesses to make way for condos and trendy coffee shops. You guys have no vested interest in our community and its long term inhabitants. That's why I called you rootless. As in you have no real ties to any community-the suburb where you hail from or my neighborhood in which you currently sleep.

So what I have to say to you--you self absorbed, garralous, ignorant yuppie--is that your blog is complete efluvium. I can't believe that people like you are all that is going to populate Southie in 10 years.

Jason said...

Jeff,

I'm sorry you feel this way. I don't know what else to add.

Being a good community member is, among other things, about living well with one's neighbors, something which I do the best I can given my schedule.

Perhaps we can link up for a drink sometime and you can tell me more about Southie beyond what I learned in my 4 years here.