Thursday, March 08, 2007

My Starbucks City Mugs


I have this odd habit of purchasing ceramic city mugs from Starbucks during my travels. Many major cities have customized mugs featuring that city’s skyline or significant monuments and noteworthy places, and to me it’s a bit of a game to collect as many as possible. I have even had dreams of mugs at times. Very odd. It's nice to see that I'm not the most psycho person about this.

Many of my friends and old co-workers are aware of this strange obsession, and have fueled my fire by purchasing mugs for me during their travels. Mike the Architect bought me mugs from China (and his mom even bought me a Cleveland mug), Jamen bought me a mug from Cancun, my old co-workers even chipped in – Stuart bought me Frankfurt and Australia, Tim bought a mug from Thailand, my old boss Allen was great in buying me mugs from Kuwait and some other exotic locales. My companion-in-mug Elliott (another old co-worker) bought the most mugs for me…..and vice versa. We often traveled to different cities for work, and bought each other mugs whenever we saw new ones that we knew the other did not have. I got him doing the mug thing until his new wife put an end to the insanity.

Ever few years, they release a new style of mug – the perfect way to rope people like me in to buying multiple mugs for the same cities. For example, I have 4 different Boston mugs. My favorite is their “art deco” one which included only a few cities in the series.

Every so often, I will find an out of place mug – i.e. a city mug for a city in which I’m not. Once in Philadelphia, I found a New Orleans mug (which I mistakenly put into my checked luggage to have US Airways break – never did that again!). In Providence, I found a Cleveland mug. And at Logan’s Terminal A Starbucks this week, I found a Niagara Falls mug – probably my best “fish out of water” mug score thus far, as I don’t plan to be in Niagara Falls any time soon.

I think Niagara Falls is mug #61. I’ll have to do a mugcount at some point.

Last summer, I had a MAJOR mug misstep. En route to Croatia last summer, I saw a Starbucks at Gatwick that had multiple mugs from places throughout the UK and Ireland – a Scotland mug, a London mug, an England mug, a Dublin mug, etc., . Probably 6 different ones in total. I figured I would purchase the mug bounty on my way back from Croatia, as to not be on vacation and on the buses that travel Croatia’s coastline with a half-dozen ceramic mugs in tow.

Well, I should have thought that with my different flight routing and carriers, I would not be passing through the same terminals going in each direction. Headed there, I flew Newark to London-Gatwick (where Continental has quite a large operation), then connected to a British Airways flight to Split, Croatia. Coming back, it was BA from Dubrovnik, Croatia to Gatwick, and Gatwick to Cleveland to Newark (reward ticket, cheaper-mileage first class the whole was if I did the Cleveland thing, so why not?) The problem is the whole International customs / immigration thing. When flying between different countries, the connecting procedure is not as simple as deplaning and walking to the next gate. I should have figured that their immigration area would not spit me back into the general concourse, but instead direct me through a labyrinth-like maze that bypassed the Starbucks I saw on the way through the first time.

Total missed opportunity. Total bummer.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's a special place in hell for mug collectors.

glennong82 said...

Hi,
I'm Glenn, a starbucks city mug collector too from Manila. please email me at glennong82@yahoo.com so we can talk more about the mugs, or even trade them. Thanks!

Regards,
Glenn

Anonymous said...

Hey, is there any German Starbucks mug you'd like to have? I'm urgently looking for a Boston mug. I just bought one last week, lost it the same day...

Unknown said...

Oh, sorry, you can email me at pinkladyolivia@googlemail.com if you are interested in trading a Boston architecture mug for any German one.

Unknown said...

Besides Boston, are you looking for any other mug?

Unknown said...

Sure, I'm mostly interested in the US architecture mugs from LA, Chicago, Las Vegas and Seattle, but I'm interested in other ones too! I'll email you back!

Anonymous said...

No worries my friend. I'm one of those "odd collectors" myself. It started back in 2000 on a vacation in San Franisco. Since then, everywhere I travel (as well as friends and family) I pick a mug up anywhere available. Most of the time it is like a scavenger hunt. I have so many mugs now that I am currently trying to catalog my mugs in a sad attempt of a website http://kujjjcitymug.blogspot.com/. I feel that it will take forever to finish it.
Take Care - Christopher (Orlando Florida)

Anonymous said...

You are not a freak b/c I've been collecting the City Architect Mugs to the cities I've traveled since I bought my first mug in Seattle. Unfortunately to me, there are several cities I've traveled to without being able to find the city specific mugs. This obviously bothers me considered I'm trying to hunt those down on the internet now.

Unknown said...

I'm collecting the 1994 icon series and the international series only. If anyone is interested to swap mugs, please email me at glennong82@yahoo.com

teen said...

i collect starbucks mugs too!
I have San Diego, Chicago, New Mexico, Seattle, Toronto, Boston, Washington D.C., Los Angeles, Ft. Lauderdale, Kona, Waikiki, Bahamas, Barcelona, Seoul, England, London, Istanbul, & Manila. I live in San Diego! maybe we can swap! email me at tbarlolong@gmail.com if you're interested!

Unknown said...

Hello, i m from France and i broke the same mug that you get "niagara falls"...could you say to me where you bought it?
thank you so much.
bye

Jason said...

Hi there, I believe I found the Niagara Falls mug at Logan Airport in Boston, of all places...sometimes I find random mugs in stores that must have been shipped to those locations by accident.

Anonymous said...

HELLO I AM ANGEL OF MORELIA MEXICO, I HAVE MEXICAN STARBUCK MUGS- I SELL ALL MUGS OF MEXICO.
INTERESTING YOU?
querubin1764@hotamil.com
I SEND ALL COUNTRYS.
THANK YOU
ANGEL

Mols Mom said...

Hi -

I am looking for mugs for San Antonio, Texas (USA, the Big Island of Hawaii (USA)or Munich (Germany. Will trade for Chicago mugs !!!

Unknown said...

Haha.. it's nice to know that there are other Starbucks mug collectors out there like me!!

Anonymous said...

I have mugs to trade from New Zealand & Australia. Im looking for mugs from Mexico. Contact me at wangaz@xtra.co.nz

Anonymous said...

Hello, I became engaged at Niagra Falls. My now husband is having a birthday and the only item on his wish list is a replacement Niagra Falls City Mug. I would pay top dollar to find one and stop his misery and make his birthday a happy one. My e-mail address is: colleenh@harrisworksystems.com

Thank you!
Colleen