Monday, April 09, 2007

The Law of Averages

I am disturbingly predictable.

I’m reading a book that posed 5 questions, similar to those emails that ask you to think of something and then “scroll down” to reveal that what you thought of was already written at the bottom of the email, as if the Internet read your mind.

It stated:

1. Stop reading and hold up 3 fingers of your writing hand.
2. Think of a flower and don’t change your mind.
3. Now think of a piece of furniture.
4. Think of a color.
5. Think of a number between one and ten.

If you want to play along, stop right here before scrolling down.


___________________________


My answers:

1. I held up fingers 2, 3, and 4 of my right hand.
2. Rose
3. Chair
4. Red
5. Seven

The book then revealed in five simple sentences:

1. The odds are overwhelming that you held up all but your thumb and little finger (96 percent do).
2. Chances are nearly even that you thought of a rose.
3. Chances are one in three that you thought of a chair.
4. With dozens to choose from, chances are over 60 percent that you selected red.
5. Chances are nearly one in four that you thought of seven.

Perhaps it’s time to start switching things up in my life. Maybe it’s time for a new haircut.. Or a trip to somewhere new. Like Iceland.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are not going to Iceland now or ever. You're going to Italy with me in September. Forget Iceland. :)

Anonymous said...

i picked gardenia, couch, purple, 8 and my last three fingers. i must be odd.