Friday, April 06, 2007

Piano rock with Cold War Kids


I have this weird love-hate relationship with piano rock music.

For example:

Ben Folds Five....love
Coldplay....strongly dislike
Keane....love
The Fray....ugh
Fiona Apple....love some, hate some


Actually, The Fray deserve a special recognition for sounding whiny, mumbly, and constipated all at the same time.


My new entry into the love category is Cold War Kids. They have a single out called "Hang Me Up To Dry," which is one of my favorite songs from the past few months. It was actually a Free Single of the Week on iTunes a while back, which goes to show how giving something away can lead to fans and $$ (yes, I bought the album). Piano is prominently featured throughout their music, which I believe contributes to its catchiness. All 4 of the songs up on their MySpace page are good.

They are playing 3 sold out shows this weekend in NYC at The Bowery (where I saw Better Than Ezra in 1996), then in a very odd tour schedule, go to LA for one date, then off to the UK.

No comments: