Thursday, April 05, 2007

Taxachusetts

Yesterday I received my dreaded automobile excise tax bill from the city. I remember the first time I received one of these, I didn't know what it was, as we had no annual auto excise tax when I had my car registered in New York or New Jersey. While I still don't understand where the money goes - most certainly not to pot hole repair on Mass. Ave - I have come to accept it as an unfortunate measure that builds our state's Taxachusetts reputation.

A few years ago, I was horrified to find a $500 excise tax just months after purchasing the car I still drive. It was then that I learned the tax was based on the depreciated value of the car, since when I moved here, my car was in years 6 and 7 of its life, and the tax was miniscule.

While I still believe I have lots of value in my '03 Jeep with 56,000 miles, the city seems to think it's worth just $2,800, and has therefore charged me just $70 excise tax this year. No argument here.

No comments: