Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Fish all day

My eye is always drawn to three things on a restaurant's menu:

1. Any chocolate / peanut butter combination

2. Tortellini with either pesto or a cream sauce / peas / prosciutto combo

3. All seafood

My strong affinity to seafood, if developed by my parents, was most certainly from my father. My mother never prepared seafood for me. She never bought it. If we scooped mayo from a jar using the same fork that was just in a tuna can, she refused to eat mayo out of that jar.

In my meals with friends, co-workers, and business associates, I am learning that my proclivity toward seafood is as common as others' rabid aversions such as my mother's.

Since lunch on Wednesday, I have had sole, scallops, haddock twice, and calamari three times. The calamari trifecta wasn't planned, it just happened. Calamari is a great sharing dish, and some restaurants enjoy jazzing it up with fancy sauces and accoutrements.

First, I was at lunch with folks from Kiss 108 at Skipjack's in Newton. Then the following day, I met my friend Steven at Stadium in Southie for a drink after work. Finally, that same night, my high school friend Dana was in town for a convention, and he and I had a nightcap and calamari at LTK (Legal Bar and Kitchen). I just checked out their website - they're open until 2am nightly! I was wondering why people kept trickling in for dinner as it approached midnight!

No comments: