Thursday, May 10, 2007

Tom and Huck


I am in consumption mode again. Out of coffee, no more eggs, done with the salsa, eating through my freezer filled with culinary masterpieces of weeks past. In about a week, I leave for my big vacation along the Mississippi River, driving from Minneapolis to New Orleans along the Great River road for much of it.

I am traveling with a High School friend - Brian. He began talking about this trip last summer, and while it's a rather non-standard vacation, it will bring me into 5 states I haven't yet stepped foot in (Iowa, Arkansas, Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi), bringing my total to 41. It will be our third road trip, and most certainly the longest. Brian has the entire trip planned, and it will be our most high-tech trip of them all, with our laptop, broadband wireless card, GPS, and ipod. I'm sure we will still get lost somehow.


Our marketing director Bev refers to this trip as my "Tom and Huck" trip. I think she's convinced we're going to be floating along in a raft, as she pointed out CNN's story during lunch on Tuesday about how the Kansas floods might impede our progress. I will be on the lookout for a slave named Jim, seeking to escape to the free states in the North.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a funny story about that movie. When I was in the eigth grade, I was spending spring break with my aunt and uncle in Huntsville, AL. By chance, they were about to start production on this very movie. A friend of my aunt's suggested I meet with someone she knew locally who was working on the film. Long story short, I was offered a part to work as JTT's double because kiddie actors, much like prostitutes, work limited hours. From a distance, our height/weight/shading looked the same. They filmed it in a little town about an hour away from Huntsville (I can't for the life of me remember the name though).
Also, you will probably drive through Hannibal MO on your way to Arkansas via St. Louis. You can stop and see Mark Twain's house.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and that message was from me. Christopher

Anonymous said...

Thanks Christopher for the wicked intriguing story. Its good to know that if I ever have problems falling asleep in the future I can just read that comment and I should be out like a light.

Dont you think Jason deserves better?

Anonymous said...

No, I don't. And, lets be honest, you need your beauty sleep.