Sunday, June 10, 2007

Just For Men


I tried a new place for a haircut last week. State Street Barbers on Washington St. has been around for about a year. I met the owner of the Boston location, and he mentioned that he owns a couple other locations in Chicago with some business partners, but owns this one outright (State Street is a bit of a misnomer - I believe the State Street to which the name refers is in Chicago).

It was a bit pricier than Supercuts - with tip I paid $34 instead of the $22 or so I pay at the Packard's Corner home of surprisingly unexpected head massages while getting shampooed.


The ambiance at State Street is very classic masculine (except for the chill music being played) - dark paneled wood, straight-razor shaves, even a beverage upon your arrival (though the complimentary beer I'm told they used to offer has been supplanted with soda and water due to city issues).

I am noticing more and more than after haircuts, I am receiving "wow, look at that" comments more frequently, accompanied by people pointing at my head and the amount of grey hair I have coming in. I recall pulling my first grey when I was just 20. They have been coming in steadily over the years, and now they are noticeable.

I think it's more of a shock for people who have known me forever and for younger friends in my current social circle. It's a sign of age (and wisdom, I might add). I don't mind the greys all that much. I can always color my hair if need be. My greater concern will be when I begin noticeably losing my hair, which is when I will begin keeping it close-cropped.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Salt and pepper hair is distinguished looking, and rather handsome.
You should send me some of your favorite songs on your ipod.