Thursday, July 05, 2007

Fireworks

This is such a weird 4th of July - I was just thinking at around midnight last night while coming home that I'm never out until midnight on a "work night." Even if I go out after work on a weeknight, I'm usually home by 10 (besides Fridays). I'm a bit tired, and still in weekend or holiday mode, but I have two very busy days at work ahead, so it's time to soldier on.

Just before we left to watch the fireworks, we were watching WBZ's local coverage of the Hatch Shell festivities. The whole Pops show seems surprisingly boring up until the fireworks, and the Blue Man Group's performance last night was shockingly awful. If they want to sell tickets, three blue dudes standing still, banging a flat surface on top of some pipes won't do it for me...and I've always wanted to see them.

We watched the fireworks from the room of my office in Kenmore. I always through that would be a great viewing angle from the moment I began working there last year, and boy was I right. I was amused at the drivers on Storrow westbound who illegally parked on the entry ramp (and then others double-parked on the same ramp) right around 10:30 - perfectly timing their ride on that road with the fireworks.

Doug mentioned yesterday that Southwest Airlines was coming to Boston and pulling out of both Providence and Manchester - a move that I can't substantiate, and that I can't imagine is true. Even if they did enter Boston, that move should not preclude them from flying to the other two cities as well. The population here is quite dense and could support Southwest in all three. I'll have to investigate.

No comments: