Monday, July 16, 2007

Painfully Uninformed

One of the side effects of living in an on-demand world is that, at times, I feel painfully uninformed. It's ironic, because among the Internet, podcasts, and traditional media, all the information I could ask for is there for the taking.

Sure, I could DVR news programs to guarantee that I'm staying on top of world affairs, but instead I choose to DVR things like poker shows, pro wrestling, and Big Brother 8. I rarely watch live TV these days, since there's always something on the DVR list. I listen to my ipod or Pandora a ton these days, both forms of music consumption devoid of personalities and information. My ipod is my personal favorite radio station, but it doesn't tell me the headlines.

I think that media overload has defeated me. There's so much to consume, that I don't particularly focus on any one source (since there's always something else to check out).

Every Sunday, I used to buy the paper and spend a few hours reading it. These days, if I buy the Sunday paper once a month, that would be a lot (and ironically, deep down inside, the reason I bought it was in hope that they would have a Home Depot circular to see the prices on grills....info that I'm fully aware is available online).

This leads me to the Boston Globe magazine, and their Sudoku. I was planning to rip through the Sudoku in mental preparation for the Crossword. Instead, this Sudoku absolutely creamed me. I stared at it for an hour (while watching BB8), and reached an impasse so wide that I went to bed angry.

No comments: