Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Mandy Moore at the Pru

On Thursday at dinner with my folks, I dropped some ice cream on my watch, which my mother promptly pointed out soon after it occurred. I looked down, wiped it off, and happened to notice that while it was keeping correct time, the second hand was only moving every four seconds (though it was moving four seconds at a time).

Irreparable dairy damage to the time piece, or coincidence with a failing battery. My vote was the latter.

I bought this watch at Tourneau in Manhattan years ago, and remembered that watches purchased at Tourneau came with lifetime battery replacements - a nice added benefit considering that my last replacement through Alpha Omega cost $50 because they had to do something special with the watch and pressurize it to keep it waterproof. Since then, a Tourneau moved into the Copley Mall, so I get to keep my cash.

I ran over there yesterday during lunch, figuring I would grab some food at the food court in the Pru. My visit there was well-timed - in the courtyard outside Barnes & Noble was a huge crowd of people. I checked out what was going on, and there's Mandy Moore performing (and after taking this pic, realized that there was my friend Phil in the yellow shirt)

She released a CD called Coverage a few years ago, which was a commercial flop but one of my favorite CD's that year. She covered songs by John Hiatt, The Waterboys, Elton John, Talking Heads, Joan Armatrading, and many other singer-songwriters. Completely different from her manufactured teen pop.

I remember reading that she co-wrote her entire new CD, which caused for much record label strife, and she was again dropped by whatever major label she was on. The labels - scrambling to remain relevant in a digital world - are increasingly dumping artists that can't make them a quick buck (the opposite way to develop artists correctly).

Mandy sang a few songs from the new CD, bantered with the crowd, sounded great, and looked stunning. I always forget that she started her career very young (she mentioned that she's now 23). She seemed genuinely excited to be performing to what turned out to be a couple thousand people on a beautiful, sunny day.

No comments: