Friday, August 31, 2007

Moving day in Boston

I spent part of my evening yesterday sweating profusely while assisting Karin with a few heavy items she was moving from her summer rental into her real apartment in Brighton.

I'm fascinated by the stats of how many leases actually turn over on 9/1 in Boston. It's a startling number that I forget - something like 75% perhaps, the majority of those being in Allston / Brighton I would imagine.

Evidence of people moving was already in full effect, with boxes and discarded furniture on the streets, moving trucks and pickups double-parked, and people carrying lots of stuff into and out of buildings.

Assisting with a few items reminded me of my current age (which no longer begins with a 1 or a 2), and my intense desire for cold temperatures over warm ones any day of the week, since once I begin sweating, it's difficult to stop.

This weekend will be incomplete until some idiot gets his or her moving truck stuck at a Storrow Drive overpass. Seems to happen every year at least once.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1:30 or so on Saturday, inbound at the tunnel.

Jason said...

Exactly! Bonus this year for said misplaced truck on Storrow having its roof ripped off.