Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Add one more to the Veto List


The veto list has grown.

With the reasoning that life is too short to deal with crap that makes me unhappy, I am adding Bruegger's Bagels in Kenmore onto the list as a conditional veto - conditional simply because we often order bagels and coffee from them for morning meetings when we have guests, and I'm fine with consuming that portion of their menu.

Their stinginess with portions is what kills me. Whoever runs this joint has their employees on a very tight leash. Perhaps it's watching them assemble sandwiches and salads that reveals the actual quantities of how much (or how little) actually goes into what they peddle.

Their dome-covered salad bowls (that they make for you under your guidance) are meant to be filled to the brim, not 80% full. I'll have 3 pepper rings, not 2, please. Good lord.

When you order a sandwich and are asked "one slice of cheese or two," you realize that that extra slice will run you another 50 cents. Benevolence be gone.

Today, I received my salad, but not the little piece of bread that usually goes with it. I asked about the bread, and the guy behind the counter responded that they didn't have any today (um....you are a bakery). To his credit, he sauntered over to the bagels, and cut one up, giving me what appears to be about 15% of a bagel as my bread. Way to underwhelm me, yet again.

Not once have I ever walked into that store excited to be eating there, nor have I ever walked out with a quantity of food that I perceived to be a good value for what I paid.

Not once.

We need a Cosi or Au Bon Pain or something nearby. I don't mind a 10 or 15 minute walk to other options, but I need to multiply those walks by 2 for the round-trip, and sometimes I just don't have that time to spare during business hours. I guess that's what I get for convenience.

The take-away options in Kenmore are limited, which is why it is tough to add one of those few options to this list. But it must be done. Bruegger's Bagels in Kenmore - veto.

1 comment:

Pam said...

I'm not really a fan of the food there either. Bagels are fine (although I have a hard time getting less butter or peanut butter on my bagels than they traditionally put on), but I was disgusted by the amount of dressing the one time I got salad there. Soups are fine, but nothing special.

However, I wouldn't be able to survive without my Brueggers unlimited coffee mug...