Saturday, December 22, 2007

Pop Culture Signs of My Age

I've done this Christmas thing 33 times already (I was born in November, so during my first Christmas, I was just a month old). Christmas #34 next week has caused me to realize that yes, I am getting longer in the tooth.

I have also begun thinking about the pop culture signs that have confirmed my life as a childless early 30-something. Beginning with...

Zac Efron - I rented Hairspray, and didn't realize that he was one of the stars until the closing credits. Apparently, he's also in...

High School Musical & High School Musical 2 - movies I haven't seen yet. I believe someone named...

Ashley Tisdale is also in these movies. I couldn't pick her out of a lineup of two people.

I think Vanessa Hudgens is also in these movies, but I'm only familiar with her name because of her topless photo scandal.

And who knew that:

1. Britney Spears had a younger sister...
2. ...named Jamie Lynn Spears...
3. Who stars in some show on Nickelodeon named Zoey 101...
4. ...and is now knocked up at 16.

I suppose if I watched MTV more, i would know some of this. I think The Real World is still on, but don't know where the house is. I think there's also some show called The Hills, which I have never seen. Same deal with Laguna Beach. Is that the show Tila Tequila is one? I have heard that name too.

I did know that Hannah Montana is really named Miley Cyrus, the daughter of Billy Ray. But I don't know what she sounds like.

Of course, when I enjoy downloading NPR Podcasts, and have a preset button on my car stereo for 90.9 WBUR, a station I find myself listening to more and more these days (especially for their world news and A Prairie Home Companion), I'm not shocked that I only learn about everything above through blogs.

So, add one more year to the wisdom column.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you haven't seen High School Musical or the sequal. Our friendship would have to be eliminated.

Anonymous said...

I know you don't know me...we have a common friend in Meghan...came across your blog and this one hit home!!! I'm 36 and with the exception of listening to NPR I was nodding along at my desk at work on an early saturday morning while reading this particular entry. Is The Real World even very real anymore?? No idea!