Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Mailing Lists

I'm always interested to figure out how I land on the mailing lists for the unsolicited mail I receive through the post office. What did I purchase, join, or subscribe to? What does my zip code or credit history profile as?

A few weeks ago, I was sent a nicely designed mailer from The Sports Club LA, offering me a free one-week workout. Somehow they thought I was not only an athlete, but also of high net worth. If I'm going to spend money on a gym that I don't use as much as I should, paying 40 bucks a month for my local Gold's Gym is sufficient.

Today, my college - Brown University - sent me a mailer about Pre-College Summer Programs at Brown.

Now, I get why I'm on Brown's list.

But, Pre-College Summer Programs?

Do they think I have a teenager already?

I suppose I could. But, it's a bit of a stab in the dark on their part. It does presume that my teen was born while I was still a student there.

No comments: