Monday, April 28, 2008

Open Apology to My Fantasy Baseball League

Dear Friends,

I apologize for sucking once again this season. More accurately, I apologize for sucking more than I have ever sucked before, and for adding my sucky bad luck to my sucky poor fantasy baseball skills to make one large pile of suck.

Of course, I wouldn't suck as much if:

1. Big Papi did not bat half of his weight.
2. Robinson Cano did not bat half of Big Papi's weight.
3. Justin Verlander did not give up 5 or more runs in half of his starts (1-4, 6.50 ERA, 20 K's)
4. I did not trade Chien-Ming Wang (5-0, 3.23 ERA, 1.18 WHIP) for Roy Oswalt (2-3, 5.75 ERA, 1.53 WHIP) during the pre-season

I'm left playing a bunch of bench warmers and now relying on free agents to clean up the mess of the season I have begun.

Once upon a time, my fantasy baseball skills did not smell of utter suck. I won a league once, and finished second or third the following year, both times in non-keeper leagues (i.e. I didn't keep the best players for season after season).

It's easy to blame all of this on Big Papi, which I intend to do. But lord, that boneheaded trade has bugged me all day the more that I think of it.

No comments: