Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Southie Turkey in Photos

Finally.

Turkey Photos from my street.

I was with Karin yesterday, and on the way from her home inspection to meeting the rest of our group at The Barking Crab, I had to go home and take Rosie out for a walk.

My first attempt at parallel parking was thwarted by a turkey in the parking spot.

Of course, now I'm all excited to grab my camera and catch the turkey in photos. It's not often you see a bird walking around Southie that's taller than toddlers.

We go inside, grab Rosie and my camera, and go turkey hunting.

Walk up to E. 7th St, and I see a lady staring eastward at nothing in particular.

"Did you see the turkey?" I shouted?

"Yeah, it went down H St."

We scurry over to H and look north to find nothing.

When I turned around to look southward, I saw many people mulling around. Some had cameras. Some were just gawking. Moments later, all of the patrons from the pub on the corner flooded out the door and occupied the sidewalk.

There it was. The turkey.

I've never seen anything like this. Not just a large wild bird in an urban environment. But simply the amount of people and cars who stopped what they were doing simply to point, photograph, and gawk at this turkey.

When Rosie finally got an up-close look at the turkey, her immediate impulse was to pull violently toward it. I'm not sure if she was going to chase it, as she seems to do with most birds, or if she wanted to sniff its butt, as she seems to do with most dogs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The turkey was taking up a parking spot?! LOL!

Poor thing must be lost!