Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Mortality at Stop & Shop

http://www.jaybones.com/recipes/tomatillo_salsa/images/tomatillos.jpgExchange at grocery store yesterday:

Older Female Cashier: "What are these?"

Me: "Tomatillos."

OFC: "What do you do with them?"

Me: "I don't know. I think you grill them or make sauce. They looked good, I thought I'd try something new."

OFC: "Y'know? I tried something new a few weeks ago. Fiddleheads. They're only in season for a few weeks."

Me: "I tried them once. I didn't like them all that much."

OFC: "Yeah they kind of taste like grass. But I figure I'm not going to live much longer, so why not try them?"

2 comments:

nancypearlwannabe said...

This seems like the kind of exchange I face at Market Basket on a weekly basis.

Anonymous said...

The Stop&Shop in Southie has a few cashiers who are very nice but sometimes need to be informed about what a fruit or vegetable is if it doesn't have a sticker on it. I once brought a kiwi to the checkout and they thought it was a potato!