Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Irish Irony

The beauty of the iPhone when using their bundled earphones is that incoming calls cause the song that's playing to fade, and a couple keystrokes later, you're now speaking to and hearing that caller through those same exact earphones.

So my phone rings last night when I'm at the gym last night. It's Karin, my off-the-boat (or technically, off-Aer-Lingus) Irish friend.

Me: "Hey what's up"

Her: "Where are you?"

Me: "At the gym. Um, are you staring at me somewhere?" (Karin now also belongs to my gym)

Her: "No, I'm at Shaw's. What kind of potatoes are best for roasting?"

Me: "The red-skinned ones are good, as are the white skinned ones that look like the red ones but with white skin. Fingerlings are good too. So are Yukon Gold. Not Russet - use those for baking or mashed."

Her: "OK, great."

Me: "Do you see the irony here?"

Pause

Me: "An Irish person is asking ME about potatoes."

Laughter ensues.

No comments: